[Sca-cooks] OOP - Turkey, again!

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 21:02:06 PST 2002

Speaking of turkey shopping, I had the nicest thing happen to me yesterday.
One of the local supermarkets is running a special where if you buy $20 of
groceries, they give you a 16-20lb turkey for $9. I had more than $20 of
groceries to buy, so I was digging (literally) through the great big bin of
frozen turkeys, trying to find the biggest one. (It was a flat-rate deal,
you see.) One of the workers came up to me and asked me if he could help me
find anything, and I told him that I was looking for a 20lb turkey. He said
that they'd all been bought, that people had been taking the big birds out
of his hands as he'd been restocking. I shrugged my shoulders, said
something about how I should've gotten there earlier, and grabbed the
biggest bird I had found (a 17 pounder.) The guy looked at me, said "Hang on
a second..." and disappeared into the back. He came back with a TWENTY-FIVE
pound turkey (because of the brand, it still fell under the deal), and
handed it to me. He said, "You're the only person all day who hasn't yelled
at me because they couldn't find a 20lb turkey." (Of course, I thanked him
profusely, and went and complimented him to the manager.)

A TWENTY-FIVE pound turkey. It's the biggest bird I've ever seen. It's
bigger than my son.

Now, I'm just hoping it thaws in time.  :)  We may have to defrost in the
sink in some cold water.. no, scratch that, it'll have to be the bathtub.
:)

More on topic, though, the lowest I've seen here in Albuquerque was running
about 38cts/lb.  We'll see next week, though.

-Gytha "Eating turkey for the forseeable future" Karlsdotter

Remember: if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the
precipitate.