[Sca-cooks] pickles

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Nov 26 14:17:03 PST 2002

> Well, you could "misunderstand" her and bring other pickled items. I
> think it was from this list that I realized that "pickles" are not
> always pickled cucumbers. :-)

Um. Yes. The big item that I bring is a jar of Jake & Amos pickled baby
beets. Plus some pickled mushrooms, some 'hot' dill slices and some hot
pickled garlic. Yum.

One of my more bizarre holiday memories is of my mother's 60-something
boyfriend and the 50-something boyfriend of my mom's best friend, holding
up the pinochle game while they argued over who had the best pickled
cauliflower recipe. Surreal. :)

> > Apparently, it's become a holiday tradition in my family. (that, and
> > Savory Toasted Cheese on cauliflower and broccoli...)
> Oh! Thanks for the reminder. I think I will bring some Savory tosted
> Cheese to our get-together at my in-laws. Since my wife likes to make
> this, I think I can even get her to join in by making this. I still
> want to find some other side dish to make. My mother-in-law is already
> making the turkey.

It's funny what the in-laws will let you make-- or not let you. When I was
much younger, my roomate and I had friends over for dinner.  Accustomed to
the usual male posturing in my family and household, I told him that he
could cut the meat and make the mashed potatoes, since all my experience
had told me that men had patent methods for doing both and it was safer to
stay out of the way.  He kept asking how he should make the mashed
potatoes, and it was only after the third attempt to explain that he
finally got through to me that not only did he NOT have a method, he
didn't know _how_ to make mashed potatoes.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"It's no use trying to be clever- we are all clever here; just try
to be kind- a little kind." F. J. Foakes Jackson.