[Sca-cooks] sugar substitutes (Mostly Aspartame, but not totally)

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Nov 26 15:37:23 PST 2002

actually the BIg problem with Aspartame is that if it is *heated* (not
ingested) too much... it breaks down into some nasty toxics........ and it
is very easy to heat the stuff too much by accident, including leaving a
diet soda in your car.  this is backed by solid research.. although i dont
undertsnd all the big words in it.  this is one of the reasons you dont want
to cook with it.

many, many asthmatics react to it as an asthma trigger.. and many people
react to it as a migraine trigger.       even if they didnt know it was
there.  after one or two instances you start getting *really* intent on
label reading.

my husband LOVED nutra sweet when he first tried it. He drank Barks root
beer as a diet drink when he went on his diet.. after about two weeks he got
migraines. bad. every day.. right after lunch.  he had never had migraines
(as opposed to me, i get them all the time)  he thought it was from the low
calorie diet.
one day he skipped lunch entirely. no migraine.
but it was a similar lunch to what he ate before the diet...... and
obviously it *wasnt* from the lack of food...
so we tried one item from his typical lunch menu at a time.... (adding one
item from his typical lunch back every day..)
low fat dressing? nothing
chicken sandwhich? nothing
within an hour of drinking a diet soda he was on the floor whimpering.
now, even if he accidentally eats anything with nutra sweet in it, he gets a
migraine, because now he is sensitised to it

(and no, he had never had it before that diet. as we didnt eat "low cal"
foods.......)

as to the brain problems. . Aspartame breaks down into various neuro toxins.
usually if it is overheated. i understand it does so in the body to a much
lesser extent... and YES so do some other things... but a lot of folks dont
really want tto *eat* neurotoxins.  i know a lot of folks with nervous
system problems... and their symptoms improved dramatically when they cut
all Nutra sweet from their diet.  purley anecdotal.. yes.  but you still
couldnt pay me to eat it, especially when so many people react so badly to
it.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."