[Sca-cooks] chocolate temperer

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 16:59:43 PST 2002

Margaret replied to me with:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>> Margaret commented:
>> > ...but this year's bonus might just go towards kitchen toys
>> > like the Silpat liners if I don't spend it all on a chocolate temperer.
>> What is a "chocolate temperer"?
>> I doubt it is a torch used to harden chocolate as you do steel...
>>
> Stefan, Stefan, Stefan. *shakes head*
>
> You asked this very same question back in August.

Moi? Surely it must have been someone else. :-)
Yes, I had remembered that conversation although I'd forgotten some
of the details. I just thought I'd try to make a joke. It still
seems like an unusual term. You aren't changing the chocolate. You
aren't making it harder or softer or changing it to a different state
or type of chocolate. You are in fact trying to keep it at the same state.
Maybe folks won't pay several hundred dollars for a chocolate dipping
basin. :-)

It does sound like a real useful tool for those doing a lot of
chocolate work. Such as chocolate dipped marzipan. :-)

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com