[Sca-cooks] carb hangover?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Nov 26 17:22:13 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Margali commented:
>>Why wait til friday? Well as I do plan on playing much of the day thursday
>>as well, the carb hangover won't hit me until I try to wake up on friday...
>>;-(
>This is the second time you've alluded to this "carb hangover" in the
>
>past few days. Do you mean you actually get physical symptoms after
>being on a low carbohydrate diet for a while and then suddenly eating
>a bunch of carbohydrates? Do you get these, or different, symptoms
>when you've been on a normal/high carbohydrate diet and switch to
>a low carbohydrate diet?

As I understand it (and bearing in mind I'm not a doctor), what
happens when you eat a lot of carbohydrates -- processed ones,
especially, like polished white rice, white wheat flour, sugar, etc.,
ones which can put a lot of sugar into your bloodstream relatively
quickly -- is that in response, your body creates a lot of insulin
(this may, of course, not be exactly true for diabetics and such),
which can begin to process the sugar, and leave your bloodstream in a
state that your body says, "HEY!!! Where the H**l did all my fuel
go???" At which point you get all sleepy.

It's more or less the same phenomenon that causes one to fall asleep
in front of a football game a couple of hours after finishing a
high-carbohydrate Thanksgiving dinner, with rice, stuffing, two kinds
of potatoes, white and sweet, several kinds of pie, much of it
augmented with some form of sugar...

...and here I was, all this time, thinking it was just that football
is as boring as watching mildew grow.

Adamantius