[Sca-cooks] Units of measure - stupid question

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 26 19:16:47 PST 2002

On 26 Nov 2002, at 21:35, Daniel Myers wrote:

> Ok, I've been looking at measuring units and something has started to
> bother me...
>
> Can anyone tell me why our unit of weight (avoirdupois) translates from
> French to something like "to have some peas"?

It doesn't.  From Dictionary.com:
Avoirdupois is from Middle English avoir de pois, goods sold by
weight, from Old French aveir de peis, literally, goods of weight, from
aveir, property, goods (from aveir, to have, from Latin habere, to
have, to hold, to possess property) + de, from (from the Latin) + peis,
weight (from Latin pensum, weight).

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net