[Sca-cooks] Re: sugar substitutes

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Nov 26 22:34:33 PST 2002

*Ahem*
1. You're not old (hell, I think you're younger than I am, so *hush*).
2. You're not fat, just cuddly.
3. Balding? who cares?
4. Now, the wife....that's another matter.  This woman *likes* to play
with rocks.  I've seen her eyes spin in opposite directions when
suitably "fueled" by Grape Jolt.  All Artemisia quakes when her wit
flashes forth! (okay, so she has some of the worst puns and sense of
humor I've ever known, and from me, that's saying something).
5. There are places where you can get cola beverages made with real
sugar.  Canada. England. Ireland.  (Ask Mst. Juliana about her Canadian
Coke jones sometime.....;-P)

I don't *mind* the taste of nutrasweet (I use it mostly to add sweetness
to my coffee or tea), but I do prefer regular old sugar.  Still haven't
figured out what all the fuss is about with Demerara sugar. It tastes a
bit different, all by itself, but I don't notice anything special when
it's in my tea (mmm....real tea....*sigh*) I haven't really tried any of
the other sweeteners, except saccharine (which tastes just vile,
AFAI'mConcerned), and sorbitol, which I rather unfortunately encountered
(involuntarily) when mistakenly buying sugar-free jelly bellies for a
road trip instead of the regular kind.  The -uh- gastric distress was
horrible.
--The Real Maire (tm)