[Sca-cooks] Re: sugar substitutes

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:36:40 PST 2002

Nichola asked:

>How about fruits to sweeten things? Did they have the ability to either
>extract the sugar from Fruit (Thus >Fructose) or did they just use the
>fruit or juices if they used it at all?

De Nola's recipe for Genovese Torte uses a puree of cooked apples, dates and
raisins as a combination binder and sweetener.  The only sugar in the recipe
is sprinkled on top of the filling midway through the baking.  This use of
fruit puree to sweeten a pastry does seem to be somewhat anomalous.  Of
course, there are a number of recipes involving cooking fruit and meats
together, with the fruit sweetening and flavoring the sauce.  So I don't
think they extracted the fructose, but they did know to use sweet fruits for
certain effects.

Vicente

If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson