[Sca-cooks] kosher

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Wed Nov 27 12:12:21 PST 2002

absolutely.
there are a number of Kosher certifications out there... and some of them
are very large groups (like the Othodox Union.. the U in a Circle)  and some
of them are very local...

the "OK" mark. or the K in a circle  is one. there are several that are
hebrew letters.. and some companies that just put a "k" on their product are
actually certified by a large group.... and some are not!

it helps to have a knowledgable guide take you shopping the first time
<grin>

BUT, for simplicities sake.... if you see some kind of Kosher label, it
means it is free of non-kosher ingredients.  and the more reputable and well
known 9and strict) the certifying agency, the more trust i have in the food.

(oh, and dont forget the infamous "kosher crab" problem.... a company that
has ONE product that is legitamitely Kosher.... (say, a canned fish) re-does
their labels and the labeling folks put the *same* design on all their
labels. including the Orthodox Union logo!!!  it happened.  the OU people
were NOT amused)
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."