[Sca-cooks] OT: overnight cooking turkey

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Nov 27 17:47:07 PST 2002

Also sprach Gorgeous Muiredach:
>I would NOT use this method as a slow cooking method like that is perfect
>environment for nasty creatures to procreate.

Uh, yeah, what he said. If it were a matter of killing surface
bacteria, we could wash the darned thing with disinfectant detergent
and eat it rare. While it may kill surface bacteria to put it in the
oven at 350 for an hour, the rest of the bird will be significantly
lower than the temperature of the surface, but also raised well into
the "danger zone".

I could see this being a very nice, tender bird, but I could also see
it putting lots of people in the hospital, under a worst-case
scenario.

>you are much better off to bone the bird, and cook the breasts and legs by
>themselves.  Cooks in about 45 minutes.  Easier to cut and present and less
>loss of meat that way.
>
>Use the bones to make your stock for the gravy/sauce

I'm taking a break from boning out da boids. Two down, one to go.

Adamantius