[Sca-cooks] OOP - Turkey, again!

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 28 07:49:32 PST 2002

Here's the recipe as given with my substitutions in parenthesis.  There
is about one cup left that wouldn't fit in the pie.

2 pounds lean roast beef, finely chopped
1/2 pound beef suet, finely chopped
5 pounds tart, juicy apples, cored and finely chopped (I used Granny
Smith)
2 pounds raisins
1 pound currants
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
minced rind of two lemons
4 cups unsweetened apple juice
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups molasses
3 cups (1#) brown sugar
3 tsp salt
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cloves
1 tsp mace
(all spices were ground)

Mix all together, boil for 10 minutes. Ready to pack into containers and
freeze.  The recipe made two 9" X 13" cake pans full of mincemeat. I
estimated enough for 6 pies.

I was in a hurry when I was shopping, so I didn't notice the currents
were in a 10 oz box instead of 16 oz.  So I added extra raisins.
Also, the molasses came in a 12 oz bottle instead of 16, so I added some
corn syrup to make up the difference.  Was told by mincemeat eaters it
was wonderful.  I detest the taste of the stuff, but it smelled good
while cooking.

The recipe came from a Kerr canning book so old it recommended canning
in a water bath.  But with meat, I know better. So I decided any
leftovers would be frozen instead. See you at winterkingdom.

Liadan

<Margaret means wInterKingdom.  And I need to know the recipe to
estimate <the
<quantity I can fit into her diet,

<Bear