[Sca-cooks] Fw: article on medieval food

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 28 08:22:10 PST 2002

I'd give the article a C+.  At least she mentions the names of four of the SCA Cooks List contributors, and gives links to Cindy Renfrew's culinary history page and to Duke Cariadoc's Medieval History page.  She features quotes from His Grace, and from Nick Sasso (Vincenzo).  The recipes she does less well with.  She leaves the marrow, dates, and strawberrries out of the dariole, and substitutes chopped ham for the lard in the "shallot and cheese cake", and leaves the "strong and sweet spices" out of the "walnut bread".  If she were doing this for an A&S presentation, she'd have to give some sort of convincing reason for doing it instead of just throwing it out there without explanation.  Of the four recipes, the only source she names is Le Viander, and that as a secondary source.
Mordonna
 Patricia Collum <pjc2 at cox.net> wrote:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
RE: article on medieval foodHere are links to the article and recipes from the lady who asked for our help!

Cecily