[Sca-cooks] From Today's NY Times

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Nov 30 08:51:52 PST 2002

Regarding Apples of Gold in Settings of Silver, I have had the book
since early October. It's interesting and the bibliography proved useful
for books with more details on the Maria de Medici wedding of 1600. It's
a literary treatment and is not a cookbook with recipes. It's catalogued
under Dinners and Dining--History. For Society folks Chapter 1 is on
Peter the Venerable and the Monks at Cluny 1132. Chapter 2 is more or
less the feast written about in the NYT article. Chapter 3 is a 1540
feast with Titian. Chapter 4 is the Wedding Feast for Maria in 1600. The
next is Coronation of Charles 1. It's rather expensive for what chapters
may be of interest. I'd advise seeing it in person prior to purchase.
Borders seems to be carrying it in all their stores.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis