[Sca-cooks] pickled grapes

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 14:42:24 PDT 2002

This is an 18th-century receipt, so obviously not period (this receipt
anyways) from Hannah Glasse, The Art of Cookery made plain and easy.
Basically you soak them in brine for a day, then put them in a solution of
vinegar, water, and sugar, making sure the pickle covers the grapes, then
cover it with a bladder to make an airtight seal.  These lasted from 9/2/00
to 2/11/01.  I've also pickled peaches, plums, and apples, as well as cukes,
onions, mushrooms, radishes, radish pods, beans, carrots, beets....

>From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
>To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] pickled grapes
>Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 01:13:00 -0500
>
>Nancy Kiel commented:
>>I've never tried to freeze pickles, but we do them every year at Colonial
>>Willy's Burg without refrigeration.  Pickled grapes are quite tasty, as
>>long
>>as you rinse them off first.
>Pickled grapes? At first this sounds a bit wierd, but I guess it could
>
>well have been done. Anybody have any documentation of this being
>done in period? It seems like rasins (dried grapes) would be much more
>common. Are these done with whole grapes? Or maybe actually done with
>rasins?
>
>--
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net
>**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson