[Sca-cooks] fixing commercial mayonnaise OOP

Shannon Malone thegoatinthegarden at lycos.com
Thu Oct 3 08:45:53 PDT 2002

When I was working at the Boonville Hotel, we very rarely made aioli.  We would doctor commercial mayonnaise to taste good with lots of different flavors like green(a varying mixture of fresh green things from the garden -- basil, arugula, mint), roasted red pepper, saffron, sesame, roasted garlic, curry, and wasabi.

You just zap any solid things in a blender with enough olive oil to pretty much liquefy it and blend it into the mayonnaise and then smooth out the texture with a little more olive oil and add acid(usually lemon juice or balsamic) and salt to taste.

With the saffron aioli, we would heat the olive oil a little and let the saffron sit in it for a bit before mixing it in.

Meadhbh/Shannon Malone