[Sca-cooks] another wedding feast for Aethelwulf-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Oct 6 22:53:09 PDT 2002

Hello all!

Well, I just got home after spending a week with Edouard Who Is My Edouard
:-), and I spent the week reading, cat-napping, futzing in the kitchen,
cuddling and eating some really fine chocolate mousse! And while reading, I
cam across another wedding feast that I thought I'd share...

In 1368, Prince Lionel, one of the younger extra princes of Edward III,
married the 13-year-old Violante Visconti, daughter of the lord of Milan.
Their wedding feast was 18 (!) courses, and in the barest of outline:

1) suckling pigs, gilded, with fire in their mouths; porcelain-crabs, also
gilded.
2) hares, gilded; pike, gilded.
3) a large claf, gilded; trout, gilded.
4) Quails and partriges, gilded; roast trout, gilded.
5) ducks and herons, gilded; carp, gilded.
6) beef and fat capons with garlic and vinegar sauce; sturgeons in water.
7) Capons and veal in lemon sauce; tench in lemon sauce.
8) beef pies with cheese; large eels in pies.
9) meat aspic; fish aspic.
10) meat galantine, galantine of lampreys.
11) roasted kid; roast garfish.
12) hares and kids in a chive sauce; various fish in chive sauce.
13) venison and beef in molds; fish turned inside-out.
14) capon and fowls in red and green sauce, with oranges; tench turned
inside-out.
15) peacocks with cabbage, French beans, and pickled ox tongue; carp.
16) roasted rabbits, peacocks, and ducklings; roasted eels.
17) junkets and cheese.
18) fruit, wine, and confections.

So Aethewulf, just waht _is_ your budget? ;-D)

'Lainie