[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/chickpeas

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Tue Oct 8 14:13:23 PDT 2002

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:00:24 -0500 sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org
writes:
> From: "Shannon Malone" <thegoatinthegarden at lycos.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Roman recipes (pre-period? On topic :-p)

> Sometimes beans are kiln-dried, which ruins them for sprouting and
> you neve=
> r know how old they are anyway.  I was hoping for beans processed
> (An uncom=
> fortable choice of words but I can't think of a better one) for
> growing.  I=
>  will certainly try to sprout a bag from the grocery, though.
> --

   Go to your local natural foods store, and buy bulk organic.   If you
have a bigger store, you can be relatively sure of the 'youth' of the
beans.   These are dried in such a way that they will sprout. ('Cause you
can make sprouts out of numerous varieties, not just mungs and alfalfa.)
Also,  check out:
http://www.heirloomseeds.com/
and try calling Schumways--they're in North Carolina, I *think*.
Schumways has a lovely selection of heirloom bean seed designed for home
gardens.

  Elizabeth