[Sca-cooks] Fun and ignorance

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 11 11:51:16 PDT 2002

We are always complaining about the misconceptions about medieval food
rife in the popular culture. Well, heres' an article that gets the food
stuff more or less right and the medical/herbal stuff almost completely
wrong:

http://www.alternative-beauty.com/medievalherbal1.htm

Here's the intro: (it's like the 'see how many things you can spot wrong
with this picture'...)

>Use Of Herbs In Medieval Times
>
>During the dark ages the practice of using herbs for medicine, beauty,
>and household maintainence was a practice generally employed only by
>monastery monks and "herbalists"; it was not an accepted part of the medical
>mainstream. Part of this was so was because herbs were viewed as "evil"
>due to their association with pagan rituals; further, illness was viewed
>as a punishment for sins and hence, diseas was considered a divine
>retribution not to be interfered with.
>
>However, the hidden practitioners of the herbal arts as well as the
>clergy  in medieval times still kept on with their use of herbs and
>herbal applications to remedy all sorts of household ailments. Indeed, the
>Benedictine monks were renowned for their herbal understandings and not
>only grew large herbal gardens, but also scribed their learnings in what
>was to become one of the first library of herbal manuscripts. In addition
>to their own herbal knowledge, these monks also included wisdom from
>other world cultures such as Greece, Persia and India. It was with the
>invention of the printing press in the late 1400's, that knowledge of
>herbs became more readily available to the general public.
>
>By the late 15th century, herb growing and use became a practice employed
>by both those of rank as well as the common folk. Herbal use was seen no
>longer as an "anti-Christian" act and was becoming a more respected area
>of knowledge. In fact, the famous "knot" garden was the standard of the
>day where each portion of the knot would contain herbs bearing special
>attributes or functions; for example, a section of herbs was allotted for
>remedy and healing, one for florals and fragrance, and another for
>culinary uses and so on according to the individual landlord. Eventually,
>the herbal garden also became a place symbolizing achievment and wealth
>and increasingly complex and intricate garden patterns were designed to
>reflect the importance and status of one's household.
>

>Medieval Herb Use In the Skullery
>
>In the medieval kitchen, herbs became of primary importance in cooking,
>presentation and to impart fragrance to the typically bland meat, fish
>and grain rich diets of the day. Additionally, herbs were used to counteract
>the otherwise negative effects of these diets which were high in complex
>proteins, animal fats, and starches. Herbs were used not only in foods
>but also drinks as well.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_