[Sca-cooks] Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Pat "Mordonna" Griffin mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 11:23:24 PDT 2002

Betsy wrote:
>Came up with a problem- after making Beignets at
>a recent event I have yet to find a way to
>remove the cooked on grease splatters on the
>rim of the pot about the main oil level.
>any recommendations, techniques or hints
>will be thankfully attempted!

And Muirdeach replied:
>Bella Betsy,

>Dedicate a pot to deep frying. Always use the same pot and it won't >matter
>overly much if that pot has oil splatters. You still want to clean it as
>best you can, but it's likely not going to come all out, and it's not >going to be easy.

>Make sure your oil cools down enough to handle. Empty oil from >pot. Take
>a METAL scrubber, not steel wool, it's too thin, you want one of the
>"industrial metal scrubby", whatever the name is. Then you want >elbow
>oil. Lots of it.

Good advice.  You might also try scrubbing it with baking soda.  But:

>Better yet, get a deep fryer. Safer, and without as much worry >about black
>cooked on oil, since it's black itself! :-) I think a good brand is >"grand
>daddy", or something like that.

Works at home, but she said she did this at an event.  Not often a lot of electric outlets at an event.

I have one cast iron dutch oven that is dedicated to deep frying at events.  After cooking, I empty it then let it cool, and swab it well with a damp cloth, then keep a clean, oiled cloth inside, with the lid on, until next time.  I've always been careful not to catch the fat on fire, and not to cook anything else in it, so I've never had to scrub it and reseason.  I have a LOT of cast iron cookware, ask anyone who's had to help carry my kitchen box at Estrella.  After I made biscuits this morning in my 10 inch cast iron frying pan, Mama offered to wash it for me.  I offered to break her fingers if she tried.

Mordonna