[Sca-cooks] Drakey got his licence! YAY!

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Oct 15 19:28:18 PDT 2002

From: "Isabetta Seraphina di Petrillo" <seraphina2 at dejazzd.com>
>In May of next year I will be doing the feast for my shire's event.  In the
>meantime my shire is having a "redacting day" this Sunday and, I've come
>across a recipe in The Medieval Kitchen by Redon, Sabban & Serventi.  This
>is supposed to be for Gnocci.  Can anyone help with the translation?  I've
>got the English-redacted version, but for this get together I'd like the
>"un-redacted" version.  Any help at all would be great!!!
>
>Toglio lo cascio fresco e pestalo: poscia togli la farina et intridi con
>tuorla d'uova a modo di migliacci.  Poni il paiuolo al fuoco con acqua e
>quando bolle, poni lo triso in su in uno taglieri, fallo andare colla cazza
>nel paiuolo, e quando sono cotti, poni sopra li taglieri e getta su assai
>cacio grattugiato.

The translation is right in Redon, et al, on page 63.

If you want some gnocchi, take some fresh cheese and mash it, then
take some flour and mix with egg yolks as in making migliacci. Put a
pot full of water on the fire and, when it begins to boil, put the
mixture on a dish and drop it into the pot with a ladle. And when
they are cooked, place them on dishes and sprinkle with plenty of
grated cheese.

-----

Someone in the Shire i often camp with made this - i think he
followed Redon's redaction. He was unhappy (he's of Italian origin,
and they don't taste like standard gnocchi), but i loved them. They
reminded me of a gnocchi recipe i had in the early or mid 1970's,
that i got out of either Family Circle or Woman's Day magazine. That
one was made of a mixture of cottage cheese, flour, and eggs. But
when i had his dish, there it was, and i knew that it was pretty much
the same recipe.

I will leave out my own comments, as i'm considering making this, or
a related recipe, for the Italian Feast i'm doing in March 2003.

Anahita