[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

kerrimart at mindspring.com kerrimart at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 17 10:58:51 PDT 2002

Greetings!  I have riecently become interested in baking and on Nov 2nd I am
planning on entering my first "real" competition.  I have 2 problems:

1) I have a recipe that I love, know how to make and want to use.  I am fairly
certain that it is period, but I can't prove it.  Suggestions on how to "work
backwards" with the documentation?  I can give more specifics as needed.

2) Bread.  When subsitiuting sourdough starter for "dry active yeast"  what is
a good amount to use? And were can I find a period starter recipe?  I have
seen them with flour & water  and also flour/milk/sugar combos.

Thanks so much for your help

Lady Hrosvitha von Celle
Physically in Atlantia, Mentally in Northshield