[Sca-cooks] Turnips.

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu Oct 17 13:09:11 PDT 2002

	<Jadwiga wrote:>
> > I'm reliable informed that turnips prepared like mashed potatoes
> > (salt, pepper, butter)
> > are indistinguishable to the average modern palate.
>
> They are, in fact, distinguishable, and frankly the preparation of turnips
> as mashed potatoes may well be responsible for a goodly proportion of the
> turnip-hating population. Turnips are good. But don't try to sneak them in
> under someone's radar, they will not like it.
>
> Try a turnip recipe instead.

	Howzabout Platina's "Armored Turnips"?  Rather along the
line of "scalloped turnips," in which sliced turnips are baked
layered between generous helpings of butter and cheese.  That should
go over well with the modern American palate (I've been considering
it for a local feast sometime), though the cost of butter and cheese
might not go over well if you have people trying to do this on the
cheap.
	Also, I can't remember if Platina does this or not, but
parboiling sliced turnips in water and white wine for a few minutes
really cuts down on the "turnipy" taste -- it would make them bake
faster, too.

	I gues you could also try frumenty, though producing that
stuff in large quantities and not having it burn to the bottom of
the pot has always struck me as a potential problem . . .

		-- Ruth