[Sca-cooks] Chinese/Mongol Horse Medicine

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Oct 19 09:44:08 PDT 2002

For those of you interested in period herbs and cures, I was having a chat
the other day with Paul Buell, author ( with Gene Anderson) of "Soup for the
Qan", and he was telling me about his current translation project, He has
given me some excerpts and permission to direct you to an initial article he
wrote on the matter, with Dr. David Ramey, the veterinarian he's
collaberating with. I found the article fascinating, although I'm omnly
permitted to quote parts of it- if you find it of interest, I strongly
suggest you get your swelf a copy. I think it's an excellent introduction to
what we can expect from the book when it arrives, possibly about this time
next year.

The article is:

 Ramey, David, and Paul d. Buell, "Equine Medicine in sixth Century China:
Qimin yaoshu," in Peter Rossdale and Rachel Green, editors, Guardians of the
Horse, II, 154-161 from  The Equine Veterinary Journal, 2001.

"China has a rich tradition of veterinary literature dealing with all
aspects of the conditions and treatment of horses, camels, cattle, asses,
mules, pigs, goats, sheep, and even other domestic animals.  Also discussed
are related topics of large animal physiognomy and the best ways to house
and feed livestock. Within this tradition, which becomes particularly full
from Song (960-1279) times on and reaches a high point in Ming (1368-1644)
and Qing (1644-1911) times, the Qimin yaoshu occupies a particular place
since this popular farming encyclopedia is the earliest surviving source to
include extensive veterinary materials and thus witnesses the character and
content of Chinese veterinary medicine as it was practiced in China before
the systemizations and assimilations to human medicine that are present in
such works as the Ming Dynasty Yuan Heng Liaomaji, "Yuan and Heng's
Collection [for Recipes] for Treating Horses," became part of Chinese
veterinary medicine. "

<snip- to a couple of recipes>

[2.] A recipe for treating a horse suffering from throat numbness when it is
going to die: Bind up a knife [with cloth] and so as to leave bare a cun
[Chinese inch] of the blade edge. Penetrate the throat. Make [the knife]
break through and destroy [the numb area?] and then the horse will recover.
If the horse is not treated it will die for sure."

<snip- to a recipe for itches>

"[10.] Another recipe: Grind up mustard seeds and daub on. The itch will
stop. Itches of all the six domestic animals will get better. Now juniper
resin and mustard are both irritating medicines. If the entire body is
suffering from itch, what one should do is to daub places just here and
there, gradually in spots. And then there will be relief. Then daub the
remaining places. If, during a single day, one suddenly daubs the entire
body there death is certain."

There are quite a few of these, ranging from very mystical/magic oriented,
to very practical direct herbal applications. Those of you with an interest
in period herbal applications should have a field day ;-)

Phlip

Never a horse that cain't be rode,