[Sca-cooks] grill was Food of the Damned (OT, Humor)

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Oct 2 18:45:17 PDT 2002

    We have a ceramic campfire - it sits in a steel base, and has a line
that runs to an LP tank which is hidden under a plastic cover that looks
like a wood pile. It looks just like a log campfire, and you can turn it up
from a flickering low that looks really mellow to a raging inferno. Since
it's just gas, we can use it when there's a fire ban in place.
    We had the constables roll by once, it seems that someone had seen our
campfire, and reported us (a fire ban was in effect). They were all set to
bitch us out when Elric reached over, and turned it off. <pop!> no fire . .
. They just stood there in astonishment - no one had EVER been able to just
turn off a campfire before, and it seriously blew them away. Once they knew
what it was, they let us keep using it, though.
    There's a 'party hearty' house that camps around the corner from us - I
passed by there, and saw that they had a faux fire going - a fan with red &
yellow crepe paper strips tied to the grill lying face up with a light under
it. I looked at it and said 'nice, but you should see our Holographic
campfire'.
    One of them said 'Huh? what's that?', so I took him over to where he
could see the fire going and told him it was all lasers. He looked at me and
said 'yeah, right . . .', so I yelled over to the group 'hey, Matt! Kill the
campfire program for a minute, will you?' He flipped the valve, the fire
went out, and the expression on this guys face was priceless.
    As I walked him back to his camp, I was telling him about the
holographic belly dancer program we were working on next, and how we were
making laser pointers that you could set to 'stun' . . . while watching his
brain rattle around the inside of his head.
    Sometimes I'm just too evil for my own good . . .

    Sieggy