[Sca-cooks] Ceramic Campfire

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 3 11:11:12 PDT 2002

Orlaith wrote:
>http://www.majesticproducts.com/product_frm.html
>
>click on outdoor products
>then patio camp fire
>I really like model 3 although not the realistic
>looking campfire (which I like as well).

I get the front page of the site just fine.

I click on "Outdoor Products" and and go to a lovely page with
pictures of four exciting product categories.

I click on "Patio Camp Fire" and i get a blank page and a butt (as
opposed to a tun) load of javascript errors (since I don't use Gill
Bate'$ product$).

By searching through the source code for the page, i manage to find
picture of TWO campfires, the Chalet and the Villa. But what's the
other?

Gee, i sure like the picture of the fire surrounded by rocks... Might
be a bit heavy to take to events, though...

My Campfire Questions:

I got a baby portable fire pit for $17 at Ducal Prize auction - a
metal circle, slightly dished, with a hole in the center, and 3 iron
"legs" hooked together. The legs slip through loops on the outside of
the disk. I just need to get chains to hook the disk to the top of
the legs so it doesn't accidentally slip down and set the ground on
fire (that's easy, i just have to get my butt or my tun or even my
firkin over to Home Despot) (and a shovel, and a bucket, and a fire
extinguisher).

1st Question:
I also need something to put under the disk so hot coals don't fall
through the air hole and set the ground on fire. Any recommendations?
No, i don't want to lug a bunch of heavy bricks around (my feet,
heels, left knee, hips, lower back, left shoulder, and neck won't be
happy).

Is there some sort of sheet of fireproof material i can buy and lay
on the ground? It seems to me a lot of the employees of said store
are not too knowledgeable and i hesitate to go in ignorant and just
ask for help.

2nd question:
Bear in mind that i'm a camp fire novice and that the disk is quite
small - 18" to 2 feet across - and not very dished. So, should i use
a mixture of charcoal and wood? Just wood seems to me unlikely to be
practical, since most of the logs i see for sale (don't rag me, i'm a
city girl) are kinda big and i lack big strong minions with sharp
axes. (Also we have an outbreak of some sort of very very serious
tree disease (erk i'm forgetting the name), so many sites require us
to bring in commercial wood, not home cut.

So what i'm implying, and i hope you are inferring, is that i'm
asking about what fuel to use...

Anahita