[Sca-cooks] Roman recipes (pre-period? On topic :-p)

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 07:48:45 PDT 2002

I've never seen fresh, not-dried chickpeas, or seen reference to eating them.  But the phrase 'plump in their tender youth' makes me wonder if that's not what was served to those partying young professors?
 Susan Laing
wrote:
Chick-peas in Saffron (Erebinthoi Knakosymmigeis)
(from: Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens by Mark Grant
Interlink Pub Group ISBN:1897959397 (July 2000)

'And then chick-peas marinated in saffron, plump in their tender youth'
[Piloxenus "The Dinner" quoted in Anthenaeus (circa AD170-239) "The Partying
Professors"]

200 grams dried chick-peas