[Sca-cooks] Caviar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 7 15:34:12 PDT 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:
>  Hi everyone.  Does anyone have a period recipe involving caviar?  How
>  about red caviar?  I have a giant jar of it and need to figure out what in
>  the world to do with it.

I don't know of any period recipes (i plead ignorance).

But there's always the modern Greek dish, Taramosalata. It's a
mixture of red fish eggs, bread, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.
It's great as a spread or dip for bread or crudite's (raw vegetables).

Here are some recipes i found on the 'net. They're all rather
similar, and i haven't tried any of them.

I'm sure home made is better than the store-bought in-a-jar that i've
eaten and liked.

Note: Thickening with fresh bread crumbs. We all know about *that*
:-) I found some recipes that call for mashing in a potato rather
than fresh bread - NOT traditional.

(by my calculation 4 oz = 112 grams and 100 grams = 3.57 oz)

TARAMOSALATA
(serves 4-6)

2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
100 grams/4 oz smoked cod roe
Extra virgin olive oil
Lemon juice
Fine bread crumbs from fresh bread

1. First puree the garlic in a food processor.
2. Add the cod roe little by little until combined.
3. With the processor still running, add olive oil in a thin stream,
until you have a smooth paste.
4. Next add some lemon juice to taste.
5. Switch off the machine and you may find some olive oil has floated
to the top. Switch on the machine again and add some bread crumbs, a
few at a time, until the excess oil has been absorbed.
6.  Turn the Taramosalata out into a bowl and chill until required.
Serve with toasted pita bread or sliced raw vegetables.

TARAMOSALATA
(serves 3-4)

4 oz. (125 g) fish roe
half a cup of olive oil
2 lemons
4 slices of bread
1 very small onion, finely chopped, or 2 cloves of crushed garlic
pepper

1. Soak the bread well and remove the crusts
2. Mash well and add the fish roe and onion or garlic, taking care to
work the mixture until it becomes smooth
3. Add the oil and lemon juice alternately, drop by drop, then add a
little pepper to taste
4. Serve on small plates garnished with olives or capers

TARAMOSALATA

2-3 Slices Thick French/Italian Bread, Soaked And Squeezed Dry
4 Oz Tarama (Carp Roe), Washed And Drained
1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Medium Onion, Chopped
2 Tbs Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 Tbs White Vinegar

Place onion, tarama, bread and lemon juice in a food processor and turn on.
Add half the oil in a slow stream through the feed tube.
Then add vinegar and the rest of the oil. The mixture will be thick
and creamy and a very light orange or coral color.
Transfer to a serving dish.
At this time you may whisk in an additional teaspoon of tarama so the
roe is distinguishable.
Taramasalata should be served chilled. Bread, pita or crudites make
an excellent accompaniment.
If you don't have a food processor it can be made in a blender or
with an electric mixer.

TARAMOSALATA

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
3 slices white bread, about 1-inch thick, crust removed
1/2 cup tarama (carp roe)
1 yellow onion, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup olive oil
Water, as needed
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped

Combine the water and milk. Soak the bread in water and milk and
squeeze it dry.
Put the bread, tarama, onion, lemon juice, and olive oil in a food
processor and blend until smooth.
Add water as needed.
Fold in chopped parsley and refrigerate overnight.

Anahita