[Sca-cooks] Caviar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 8 16:26:02 PDT 2002

Yeah, but blini (crepes) with caviar and Melba toasts with caviar are
best with real caviar. The red stuff is some fish roe, but not
sturgeon roe. And as a caviar fan, i assure you, it isn't the same
thing.

HOWEVER

I have sworn off sturgeon caviar because they are now endangered.
They live VERY long lives, which not sliced open for their roe, and
they don't breed very rapidly. They're being illegally fished and the
stock is depleting

SO

It's red fish roe for me, and it just doesn't work on blini, unless
you haven't ever had the real thing, i suppose.

Yeah, yeah, i sound like a terrible snob, i know... BUT ...aren't we
cooks? Don't we appreciate the quality of our ingredients and the
differences among them?

Not all cheese is the same, as we all know. And in truth, not all
fish roe is the same. Various kinds are more suitable for some uses
than others.

Anahita
who eats the red stuff on sushi and in taramosalata