[Sca-cooks] Aten Archery Championship Breakfast Challenge

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Tue Oct 8 23:13:02 PDT 2002

It was a traditional Swiss dish called Erushdi or Erdatch (guessing on the
spelling and mom called it both). The version I made for the breakfast camp
cooking competition was:

1 lb. bacon cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
1 med. yellow onion coarsely chopped
four slices of bread buttered on both sides and then cubed
1 dozen eggs
4-6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese- shredded

In a large skillet over medium heat cook bacon and onion, stirring
occasionally, until the onions are clear and the bacon nearly cooked. Remove
the onions and bacon to a paper towell lined plate witha slotted spoon. Set
aside. Drain all but a thin coating of bacon grease from the pan. Add the
bread to the pan and stir to melt the butter and soak up residual bacon
grease. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside half of the bread. Add
half of the onion-bacon mix back to the pan. In a small bowl, lightly
scramble six of the eggs. Return the pan with the bread-onion-bacon to the
heat and pour in the eggs. Stir the eggs and stuff together and add half of
the cheese. Continue to stir, being sure to spread the mix out to cook the
center, serve with a sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper, then cook up
the second half the same way to replenish the plate as it disappears.

When I was little, the only thing that remained the same each time was the
buttered bread cubes and the eggs. Its basically poor-immagrant-stretch the
eggs stuff. This is the once in a while when we had bacon left over version.

Cecily