[Sca-cooks] Honey butter--angelic documentation?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Oct 9 22:48:57 PDT 2002

I was looking through God's Banquet (which is interesting but which I
concluded, when I first read it, was not entirely reliable) and came
across the following:
---
There is a tradition, deemed inauthentic by some but incorporated in
one of the standard collections of Hadith, according to which the
Prophet was told by the archangel Gabriel about the luxuries in store
for his world-conquering followers: "They will even eat faludhaj!"
Mohammed asks, "What is faludhaj?" When Gabriel explains: "They will
mix clarified buter and honey," the Prophet sighs deeply.
---
Elsewhere in the book, the dish is described as made of wheat and
honey or wheat, honey and butter. It isn't clear to me whether that
is what Gabriel means and he just doesn't go into detail, or whether
he is describing a version without wheat, but the former seems more
plausible. But for those desperate for documentation ... .

Manuscrito Anonimo has a recipe, but it doesn't fit either
version--honey, oil, starch, saffron and almonds.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/