[Sca-cooks] Burt Wolf venting

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Oct 10 08:58:32 PDT 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>  > >"The first cattle ranch was in Florida," Wolf says. "No one in Europe knew
>>  =
>>  >how to raise cattle (except) a small group of people in Spain. And by
>>  1530,=
>>  >they had big cattle ranches in central Florida."
>
>Hm... I wonder if he got ahold of the rumor that nobody ate beef if they
>could help it in the middle ages because there were no beef cattle, only
>used-up dairy cows and oxen....

I wonder if it's possible he's referring to gelded steers. After a
not-very-deep study of this, I STR seeing references to beef coming
from bulls and bullocks, and occasionally from cows, heifers, and
oxen, but I don't believe I've run across any references to steers in
period, or even until the eighteenth or nineteenth centuries. Unless
anybody else has some specifics on this...

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER