[Sca-cooks] Burt Wolf was new food history show

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 10 11:25:35 PDT 2002

As a librarian, the obvious questions first to ask are:

Where's the website?

Is there going to be a book?

The website is at:

http://www.whatweeat.tv/
The series is underwritten by ConAgra Foods, Butterball, EggBeaters,
Healthy Choice, Orville Redenbacher's Swiss Miss, etc.
There are links to those products. There's a sweepstakes to enter where
the prize is a weekend in NYC and dinner with Burt Wolf. A flashy
commercial for the series. coupons. Bio of  Burt. descriptions of the
episodes.
And a handy list of who consulted on the series which seems to be who's
who of food historians:
Jean Anderson, Michael Coe, Alfred Crosby, Betty Fussell,  Daniel Gade,
Jessica Harris, William McNeill, Sidney Mintz, Mark Pendergrast, Andrew
Smith, and Margaret Visser.

One can't say what he learned from them, but the list is impressive.
Could it be the PR person tried to dumb the series down to appeal to the
avaerage viewer. Maybe they didn't want to say Wolf talks to Andrew
Smith about tomato history.

As to the book question, neither the website or Amazon.com list one. But
the DVD's will be out for Christmas.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway    Johnnae llyn Lewis

----------------------
> Culinary history is a pretty darned specialized field, and while
> there's a fair amount of available material, most people who aren't
> at least amateurs or hobbyists simply don't take the time to read
> more than one book. Both in and out of the SCA, the sure
> research-killer is reading one book, taking it all at face value, and
> considering yourself an expert. Jeff Smith, for example, is an
> enormous proponent of the one-book principle. Which is probably why
> he is so often incorrect in his research.
> > Adamantius
I guess I'll have to tape these to see how well Wolf does his
homework.Bear