[Sca-cooks] OFF TOPIC, was 1250

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 13 23:24:33 PDT 2002

Brekke commented:
> This reminds me of a very old Hagar the Horrible cartoon, where Hagar asks =
> Helga, "What's for dinner?" and she pulls a boiling piece of meat out of he=
> r pot, and replies, "Steak".  (This was back in the '70's, mind, and I coul=
> dn't help but think that it showed a pretty good knowledge of Medieval cook=
> ing, actually.  Now I know they DID grill meat sometimes.)

Actually there seems to be a fair amount of evidence of grilling meat as
Bear mentioned, including the Bayaux Tapestry. They may well have often boiled
the meat before grilling it for various reasons.
See these files in the Florilegium for more details>

steaks-msg        (13K) 11/14/00    Period grilled steaks. Descriptions.

Carbonadoes-art   (14K)  6/19/97    "Carbonadoes" by Adamantius. A medieval
                                        "barbecued" meat dish.

Then there are also all the meat recipes for meats grilled on a rod rather
than on a grill.

roast-meats-msg   (66K)  7/ 3/00    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.

All of these are in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium.

Stefan li Rous