[Sca-cooks] Need help finding sources

Tue Oct 15 07:17:42 PDT 2002

It is probably true, but may be difficult to document.  Presumably, during
the Middle Ages, the Church declared rabbit fetuses and newly born rabbits
to not be meat, allowing them to be eaten by asectic monastic orders and
during Lent.  This is probably more 'Lanie's area of expertise.

Cindy Renfrow looked at this issue some time ago and couldn't find any
references to the practice in her cookbooks.  She did not touch the Roman
sources, and Apicius does have a number of rabbit recipes, but I am not
familiar enough with the work to tell you whether or not there is a recipe
for rabbit fetuses.

In the same vein, the "Seven Advices" of Mei Cheng (Han dynasty, roughly
contemporary with the end of the Roman Republic) is said to record
domesticated leopard fetuses as a delicacy eaten by the court.

Bear