[Sca-cooks] Need help finding sources

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 15 11:13:57 PDT 2002

Ok here are mentions from printed sources off the shelves:

Calvin W. Scwabe. Unmentionable Cuisine. University of Virginia Press,
1979.
page 194
"Unborn rabbit fetuses were a delicacy in Europe in Roman times and
later. In fact, so that they could be eaten by priests and monks during
Lent, the Catholic Church once ruled them non-meat."

That's all it says with regard to them.

C. Anne Wilson in Food and Drink in Britain says that "Coneys had
continued in France from Roman days, and laurices became a special
luxury of the monks because it was decided that they need not be
regarded as a meat food at religious fasts. By te sixth century AS
domestic rabbits were being bred for their litters in French monastic
courtyards. But when they eventually reached England again, they were
ususually enclosed in warrens, and their young were eaten as fleshmeat."
p 83
Laurices are mentioned earlier on page 72 and are mentioned as a
delicacy in Roman times when "their young, cut from the womb of the
mother before birth or taken new-born from the breast, were regarded as
a special delicacy (laurices).

Hope this helps--

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway