[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 17 18:04:20 PDT 2002

On 17 Oct 2002, at 16:04, kerrimart at mindspring.com wrote:

> So is it ok to use packaged (or cake) yeast in receipes?  I know beer
> yeast was used in bread making, but that is all I know right now
> (still researching).

Packaged yeast is a modern convenience which many of us use.
You might want to make it into a sponge first; that will add flavor to
the end product.  Is it "ok"?  That depends on what you mean.  No,
it's not perfectly period, and it might lose you a point or two in an
A&S competition, but I don't think it's wildly inauthentic.  It's not
like, oh... serving potato salad.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net