[Sca-cooks] Cooking Turnips

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 18 06:17:49 PDT 2002

> When cooking turnips it's very important to bring them to a boil and
> then discard the water, bring them to a boil again in clean water,
> discard the water, and then boil them yet again in clean water.  This
> cuts the bitter acrid taste that makes most people dislike turnips.

Is this a regional problem? Most people around here like turnips, at least
armored, without having them treated like potentially poisonous greens
such as pokeweed. Could there be different species of turnips? or
something?

I mean, yes, turnips here in PA (and in NY where I grew up) taste
different than potatoes-- tangier. But not acrid! Acrid is the smell you
get when you burn the bottom out of your tea kettle by letting it boil
dry.

Or are some people just really sensitive to the difference between turnips
and the blandness of white potatoes?

What about parnsips?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_