[Sca-cooks] Dayboards?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 18 09:27:23 PDT 2002

>Is this part of the site fee?  I'm in An Tir and while we sometimes have
>dayfood, it is something you pay for when you get your food, often run
>by some group or household doing fundraising.
>
>Isobel fitz Gilbert
>
>ps. for that matter, many of our events don't have a planned feast.
>A pot luck
>maybe, if we're in a hall type situation, but most (99%?) of our
>camping events
>don't have a feast (no facilities for such a beast in a farmers
>field and the parks
>are just big stretches of meadow).

Well, here in The West only our Collegia and 12th Night are *not*
camping. Duke Fabian sponsored a dinner at Purgatorio in August (our
2nd of 3 Coronations in an SCA year). I cooked for 150. Most of the
food was made a few days ahead of time and either frozen or
refrigerated (Fabian himself made the Andalusian meatballs from my
recipe).

At the event - which was under such severe fire restrictions that no
fires, no candle lanterns, no propane operated stuff of any sort was
allowed in the camping area (which is why Fabian had the idea to feed
the Kingdom) - we were allowed to set up propane stoves in the
parking lot.

There we reheated the frozen and refrigerated food and boiled water
to make couscous and (non-period) tabouleh. We chopped the greens
(parsley, mint, and scallions) for the tabouleh and sliced and
seasoned the oranges for the "orange salad".

Fabian, his lady, and their household set up serving tables with
chafing dishes and provided paper plates. They also covered part of
the parking lot with carpets, low tables (really cheap from Home
Depot), and cushions, and provided some lighting. And nearby on what
passed for grass were some picnic benches.

Volunteers helped throughout, including serving. Sunday morning
Fabian and i and a couple more volunteers washed up and put stuff
away, although his household did the heavy lifting and eventually
packed up his trailer.

I don't think we've really done that in the West, at least not
recently, and i don't know if we'll do it again any time soon. But it
is possible to have a feast in limited circumstances.

Anahita