[Sca-cooks] eggplant bitterness was Cooking Turnips

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 12:37:32 PDT 2002

At last!  Someone on my side of the kitchen when it comes to eggplant!  I have heard of and tried many ways of getting rid of the bitterness--nothing works. I have tried many varieties of eggplant that I am advised aren't as bitter as regular eggplant--oh yes they are!
You don't, by any chance, despise grapefruit as well?
Bonne
 "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote: when cooking
eggplant, I like to remove the bitterness by salting the raw slices
until a lot of the bitter juices have been exuded, then gently fry,
broil, or grill them, and then proceed with whatever the recipe calls
for. Then I bury them in a steel-reinforced concrete bunker and eat
something else, in order to be absolutely sure to avoid the last
traces of the nasty, bitter flavor....Adamantius

.
.