[Sca-cooks] Coordination, was Early SCA heraldry.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 19 01:08:06 PDT 2002

Katherine commented:
> someone said to me that they were watching a murder mystery set in a
> great country house in the 1920s, and that not much had changed in the
> way such a house was run since the 1500s... and I launched into a long
> and rambling explanation of the effects of the invention of back stairs,
> bell pull systems, and Victorian morality on the way servants work in
> large households.  This guy just stood there with his mouth hanging
> open, and said "wow, it's like you push a button and random information
> comes out."  I apologised and wandered off slightly embarrassed :)

Well, I guess I must be strange, but some of that sounds interesting.
Never considered the social aspects of some of that. I'm not sure if
the society caused the need for them, or the invention of the devices
changed society. Some of those seem like they could easily have been
done previous to Victorian times.

If you have the time sometime, and would like to elaborate on this
stuff, I'd like to read it.

Stefan li Rous
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com