[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 20 07:41:40 PDT 2002

Different yeasts.  Sourdoughs run to yeasts such as Candida milleri, which
can survive in high acid environments.  They will raise bread, but they
aren't optimal for aerating the crumb.  Saccharomyces cerevisiae,  which we
use for baking, produces more carbon dioxide and makes for lighter bread,
but doesn't do well long term in a sourdough.

The baguette requires extreme aeration which is produced by a combination of
yeast, preparation technique and temperature manipulation.  It requires S.
cerevisiae for aeration and consistency one can't achieve with sourdough.

Bear