[Sca-cooks] Medieval Arabic Medical Formulary

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 19 22:29:17 PDT 2002

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
>> Some of the recipes are even usable (i.e., not poisonous :-),
>> although i don't know how efficacious they are. I will, however,
>> avoid using dangerous minerals such as mercury, minium (red lead),
>> and ceruse (white lead), and natural products such as agaric,
>> hellebore, and goat or camel dung.
>
> Does it include indications for the use of gems? I'm collecting titles to
> get for my lapidary friend.

My appologies if you have already looked in the Florilegium, but here
are two files in the CRAFTS section that might be of interest to her:

lapidary-msg      (21K)  9/17/99    Period and SCA gemstone cutting.
A-Lapidary-art    (32K)  3/31/99    Period descriptions and virtues of gemstones
                                       by Agnes deLanvallei.

Folks might also find this article amusing:

Rock-Crystal-art  (12K) 10/19/00    "Carving Rock Crystal According to
                                   Theophilius" by Lord Valdis of Gotland (humor)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com