[Sca-cooks] Dayboard: Menu for EK Crown

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue Oct 22 07:59:14 PDT 2002

Hello!

There are a few interesting tidbits in John Russell's Boke of Nurture &
Wynkyn de Worde's "The Boke of Keruynge" (Babees Book, pp. 147-8, 273)
regarding the serving of pies such as custards & doucetes.  The proper way
to serve custards is to cut them "chekkid buche", or "cheke them inche
square", in other words, into 1-inch squares.  For Doucetes, "pare awaye
the sydes & the bottom", or "pare awey the sides to [th]e botom"; in other
words, take a sharp knife & run it around the inside edge of the pie crust
& remove the ring of crust.

Cindy