[Sca-cooks] More Russian black bread....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 22 21:37:21 PDT 2002

Brandu commented:
> Speaking of birch could you ask Alexey about a reference I ran across
> (researching the "Muscovy Company" in Elizabethan England) that then
> Muscovites drank a "meade" ( usually meaning any general mildly alcoholic
> drink ) made from Birch Sap?  That is all I have, but I want to recreate the
> drink, and need more info. Also any other reference to birch (or maple) sap
> used as a sweetener.

Still looking are we, Brandu? :-)

I went to find what I had in the Florilegium on birch sap as a

sweetener for Brandu and found the following message. Sorry Brandu,
I've got nothing new to add since two years ago.

Please let me know if you ever find some evidence that isn't also

posted where I will see it, like here.

Unfortunately, this birch sap may be similar to maple sap in that it
requires a precise set of climatic conditions to create the good stuff.
So this may mean that you can't simply tap the nearest birch and experiment
until you get it right. For instance, maple trees that bear sap that
makes good syrup have been grown in Europe where they have not created
useable or as good a sap for sugar or syrup making.

Maple sugar was until the mid-19th century (I think) more common in the US
than maple syrup due to the greater difficulty in transporting the syrup.
Recently I did manage to find, and buy, a small package of maple sugar.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com