[Sca-cooks] RE: Johannesburg Torte and Rumpolt cookbook

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 20 00:09:28 PDT 2002

Hrosvitha von Celle commented:
> Thanks!  I tryed your redaction of the apple torte that you have posted. (with
> rave reviews)
> I've noticed that most receipies call for black currants.  Are red currants a
> mondern creation? (like tangeloes?)

Hmmm. I can't remember right now, but you might want to check this
file in the Florilegium:
grapes-msg        (32K)  9/10/01    Period grapes, raisins and currants.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/grapes-msg.html

> Thanks for all your help.  I know I am going about this in a backwards
> fashion, but it is getting me interested in historic cookbooks and maybe soon
> I'll have time to try to make my own redactions from some of Gebacken section!

Perhaps some of the book reviews and recommendations in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of the Florilegium might be of interest? Here is one file which
I recommend:

cookbooks-bib     (40K)  6/ 9/01    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks2-bib.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com