[Sca-cooks] Sourdough starter recipe

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Oct 23 10:42:39 PDT 2002

> How do I create a sourdough starter from scratch? Where I'm located it's
not
> possible for me to buy any kind starter near by (online not an option,
> period) so I have to make it from scratch.
>
> Any help would be appricated,

Mix flour and water to form a loose batter. If you do any significant amount
of bread baking, you'll have yeast in your kitchen that will wind up in the
sponge. Once it starts to bubble and get foamy, let stand for 12-24 hours,
then dump 3/4 of the mess, add more flour and water. Repeat daily for 5-7
days, then refrigerate and repeat every 3-4 days for two weeks, then more or
less weekly. After the first week of daily feedings, you should be able to
use it to bake with (i.e, instead of tossing 3/4 of the bowl, use it to make
bread).

Avraham