[Sca-cooks] Oxford Companion to Food was Alan Davidson

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 17:06:08 PDT 2002

I totally agree with Johnnae.  This is a great
book.  I also agree with her statement about
encyclopedias in general.

I have also purchased the main competitor:

The Cambridge world history of food / edited by
Kenneth F. Kiple and Kriemhild  Cone Ornelas. --
 Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2001.
 2 v. (1958p.) : ill. ; 26 cm
  ISBN 0521402166

While I am sure that this is equally as good, the
Cambridge set is harder to use and a heck of a
lot drier in tone, which makes it harder to read.

When I look an item up in the Oxford book, I find
it easy to use, understand and read.

I have heard that Alan Davidson is working on a
new edition of the Oxford book, but I haven't
heard when it will be done or published.

Huette

--- johnna holloway
<johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> I think it's a great book and people would do
> well to buy a copy and
> read it for the background, expecially given a
> price of 30 dollars. i
> know that there are errors, but every food
> encyclopedia ever written
> contains errors. For that matter, I can't pick
> up or use a bibliography
> in print or online these days without finding
> errors (and that includes
> resources like the English Short Title
> Catalogue), but am I gonna quit
> reading and using them... no!!!
>
> You don't need to wait until the War to see
> it-- Go to the largest
> Borders or Barnes and Noble in your area and
> check out their
> food/cookbook section. Most carry it.
>
> Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis
>
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > I might well be interested in getting a copy
> from you. But I'd probably> want to get more
> details about the book, or more likely, wait
> until
> > next Pennsic when I can examine the book in
> person.
> > > Stefan

=====
shall never cease to be amused.