[Sca-cooks] MetalSmiths Symposium - [00] Please read

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Oct 23 20:17:43 PDT 2002

Brekke asked:

>      From the sound of it, you didn't really have much time to prepare for
this.  From Barleycorn to Metalsmith's?  Or was it Barleycorn to
Metalsmith's a year later?

No, unfortunately, it was from this year's Barleycorn. Olaf and I were
tearing our hair out, trying to come up with a Feast cook. Olaf had posted
on Cook's List and EK List, and I ran into Vincenzo at Barleycorn and
discussed it with him.

The funny thing is, both Olaf and I are Cooks as well, but neither of us
could do feast- he was Autocrat, and I was smithing coordinator, CiC, and
teaching an all-day class. Furthermore, two of the teaching smiths were from
Ohio, and two were brand new to SCA, so I really HAD to spend time with
them. As it was, Olaf and I did a beakfast apiece- we were a bit busy ;-)

Vincenzo stepped in and did a wonderful job, under the circumstances- I
honestly don't know how to thank him.

There were two things about this event which really stood out in my mind, as
Good Things Happening. One was encouraging Vincenzo to do Feast, and
watching him do it so well, and encouraging Aaron Silver, a young man who
had never been to an SCA event before, or taught smithing before, to teach,
and watching him do so well.

It was truly a wonderful event guys, the best I've ever been to, including
the great Barleycorn event I'd gone to a couple of weeks before. I'm having
a GOOD time over here in the EK ;-)

Phlip

Never a horse that cain't be rode,