[Sca-cooks] pig, suckling

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 22:17:03 PDT 2002

Phlip and Kirsten commented:
> Kirsten skrev:
>> i don't know if anyone is interested, but in the Bakhail (Philadelphia)
>> region one of the local supermarkets had a poster advertising that they
>> could special order whole suckling pigs.
>>
>> The poster was near the meat section, and gave weight ranges they were
>> available in, i believe the smallest was twenty pounds.. the largest about
>> 50??
>> anyway, $1.99 a pound.
>>
>> the way i figure it, one of those as a central "OOoohhh" peice for a feast
>> would have some impact.....
>
> Ooooh, Kirsten, thank-you. I have no feasts planned in the immediate future,
> but that looks like it might be interesting ;-)
>
> For those of you who are interested, if the piglets are dressed, IE, gutted,
> but not skinned, you'll get about 60% usable meat by weight.

I'm pretty sure that the comments in these files in the Florilegium
probably had in mind pigs a bit bigger than these, but these files
might still prove useful if someone wants to get some of these pigs:
Cooking-Piggy-art  (5K)  9/27/01    A humorous adventure cooking a pig.

whole-pig-msg     (36K)  9/23/01    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
pork-msg          (38K)  6/14/01    Use of pork in period. Pork recipes.

roast-pork-msg    (39K) 10/13/00    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.
  (all in the FOOD-MEATS section)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com