[Sca-cooks] Renaissance Recipes by Gillian Riley

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 24 12:59:59 PDT 2002

With regard to Gillian Riley, my only reservations with regard to
Riley's works are that I do not
always like her adaptations of recipes. They are often described as
"inspired"  which means they aren't exactly what they might be in terms
of authentic fare. "Each dish is adapted for the convenience of the
modern cook and promises to stir the senses with tastes and aromas that
will call to mind the painting that inspired it," as from the Yale
website.

 Certainly her articles in Gastronomica and her presentations at Oxford
have been first rate. Given that she is working on the new Oxford
Companion to Italian Food,
she seems to a food historian in good standing.

Regarding Anahita's original query, I'd recommend purchase since the
works are cheap, she admits that she loves food in art books
(Intriguing, since i'm into art, too), and art history books in general.
She can buy all three of the original ones for less than $20 which is a
bargain these days. That's the cost of three magazines afterall.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis